Vegan Fresh Strawberry Shortcake with Yummy Vegan Icing Recipe
Vegan Darling Recipe
Strawberries and whipped cream are seriously a match made in heaven! ❤️ This light and fluffy cake is the perfect pairing for the fluffy whipped cream and sweet strawberries. We won’t blame you for licking whipped cream off a spoon when you’re making this classic dessert.
Makes: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40-45 Minutes
Nutrition Info Per Serving
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup warm water
1 cup cane sugar
⅓ cup vegan butter, melted, plus extra for greasing your pan
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
the cream from 1 14oz can full fat coconut milk, chilled in the fridge overnight
3 tbsp maple syrup
½ tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup strawberries, diced into small chunks
Additional strawberries for decorating
- Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9” circle baking pan with vegan butter and set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine water, butter, sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract and whisk together until it’s nice and smooth.
- Add the wet to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake the cake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- When the cake is cooled, make the coconut whipped cream. Take the canned coconut milk out of the fridge and turn it upside down. When you open the can, the coconut water should be on top and the cream should be on the bottom. Pour out the coconut water as you won’t need it for this recipe.
- Scoop out the cream from the can and transfer it into the bowl of a stand mixer. Add the maple syrup and vanilla extract and beat it on medium-high speed for about 10 minutes or until the mixture becomes nice and fluffy.
- Chop up the strawberries into small chunks. Add them to the whipped cream and beat the mixture for another 2 minutes, until the whipped cream turns slightly pink.
- Pour all of the icing on top of the cake and distribute it evenly. Top with additional fresh strawberry slices to decorate. If you want to, you can cut the cake in half to create a two layer cake and add whipped cream in the middle.