Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies with Coconut and Green Icing
Merry Christmas you guys!!! What are y’all baking today? Cookie day here.
These coconut sugar cookies are a popular Christmas recipe in Scandinavia, and taste buttery and sweet. Sugar cookies are rolled and cut into shapes, or hand-shaped. They’re the perfect cookie to make a huge batch of during the holidays, and they’re so much fun to decorate!
Makes: 40-45 Cookies
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 9-10 Minutes
Nutrition Info Per Serving
¾ cup powdered cane sugar
¼ cup + 2 tbsp coconut oil
¼ cup almond milk, unsweetened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp baking powder
½ cup powdered cane sugar
1 ½ tsp water
Greens powder, such as barley grass, wheatgrass, or spirulina, etc. (optional for green icing)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line 2 large baking pans with parchment paper.
- Gently heat the coconut oil and almond milk in a small saucepot until the coconut oil is melted, but the mixture is not hot.
- Add this mixture along with the powdered sugar and vanilla into a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until combined – about 3 minutes.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix until mostly combined. Dump the contents of the bowl onto a gently floured surface and knead into a dough.
- Divide the dough in half and set one half aside. Roll out the other half into an even, thin layer about ¼ inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out pieces and lay them onto the parchment lined trays. Do the same with the other half of the dough. Gather any trimmings and roll the dough out again to cut out as many cookies as possible.
- Bake the cookies for 9-10 minutes or until they are slightly golden brown. Allow the cookies to cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, make your glaze. Whisk together the powdered sugar with the water. If the mixture is too thick, add a tiny bit of water at a time. If you want green icing, you can add a small spoon of powdered greens into the icing and whisk to combine. Add the desired amount until you achieve the color you like.
- When the cookies are cooled, use a brush tool to brush the glaze onto the cookies. Allow them to dry before serving.
Are you in the mood for something new?
Want vegan dessert recipes that taste good and are simple to make?
Download our NEW ebook:
Favorite Desserts made VEGAN! 100 Sweet Seductive Recipes.
Don’t miss the special release offer!