Traditional Recipe veganized
This traditional Austrian dessert will make your cooking skills look like that of a professional baker, but this delicious treat is actually quite easy to make. If you want to save more time in the kitchen while still fooling your friends and family into thinking you’re a secret professional chef, use pre-made puff pastry dough instead.
Makes: 4-5 Servings
Prep Time: 2 Hours 10 Minutes (if making dough from scratch) 20 Minutes 9 (if using pre-made puff pastry)
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Nutrition Info Per Serving
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
½ cup vegan butter
1 cup ice water
1 ½ tsp lemon juice
2 medium-sized, sweet apples
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Combine the flours with the salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut the vegan butter into small pieces and add to the flour, then add the ice water and lemon juice. Mix well until no butter chunks are visible.
- Dust a working surface (preferably wood) with some flour and turn the dough out on there. Knead for about a minute until the dough starts to come together (if it’s too wet, add a little bit more flour as you knead).
- Form a ball with the dough and put it back in a (floured) bowl. Cover with a tea towel, and refrigerate for two hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- A little while before the dough is ready to be removed from the fridge, slice up the apples into thin, uneven pieces. Add them to a mixing bowl and stir in the cinnamon and coconut sugar.
- Turn out the dough on a floured working surface and roll it out into a large rectangular shape. Now evenly spread out the apple-cinnamon mixture over half of it.
- Double the dough over, wrapping the apple-cinnamon mixture inside. Seal the edges by pressing them together with a fork. Be careful not to pinch holes in the dough. Coat the top with some soy milk
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 20 minutes. The top should be golden brown, the dough light and crunchy.
Serve hot or cold – it’s delicious either way.
Are you in the mood for something new?
Want vegan dessert recipes that taste good and are simple to make?
Download our NEW ebook:
Favorite Desserts made VEGAN! 100 Sweet Seductive Recipes.
Don’t miss the special release offer!