Halloween Ghost Chocolate Cupcakes
Holiday: Halloween, easy
It’s that time of year again! Halloween! ?? ?
I’ll admit, my little vegan ghosts aren’t especially scary – but they are pretty delicious. I know they are sugar bombs, but for that exact reason, they also have that special soul comforting quality I needed. If this monster cupcake is too sweet for you, just omit the topping, which also has the lion share of sugar. Then, all that’s left are the chocolate muffins! Their intense cocoa taste could hardly be any better!
These Halloween Cupcakes were especially rebellious, at least in the beginning. It took three attempts to make a cupcake that wasn’t just edible, but really good. The first version was thoroughly unenjoyable: Something developed in my mouth that reminded me of the taste and consistency of a Styrofoam ball. After all, just looking good isn’t everything. So: baking soda and buttermilk out, vegan baking powder in.
The second batch of cupcakes – still without the frosting that had made itself comfortable in the fridge – tasted good, but looked like hell. I also couldn’t hollow the cake out to add the topping. What was going on here? I suspected that I had used too much oil, so I reduced it by a little less than half.
The third attempt was successful – the cupcakes looked and tasted great. Perfect, in other words, for transforming them into sweet ghosts. The cake was loose and crumbly, and the orange-infused frosting compliments the cocoa perfectly. The could stay this way! If you don’t like the orange taste, you can easily replace it with something else.
Makes: 10 Cupcakes
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Nutrition Info Per Serving
1 ¼ cups flour
⅔ cup brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder (instead of 2 tsp baking powder, you could use 1 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp citric acid)
3 heaped tsp vegan cocoa
¼ cup neutral oil
1 cup mineral or flat water
1 cup vegan margarine
2 cups powdered sugar (vegan powdered sugar from raw sugar)
1 tsp grated orange or lemon rind, untreated
Vegan food coloring, fat-soluble
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (or 320 degrees F for convection ovens).
- For the topping, sift the powdered sugar on top of the margarine. Beat with an electric mixer until creamy and the powdered sugar is completely dissolved. Add orange rind and mix well.
- Put both bowls of frosting in the refrigerator until needed.
- Mix flour, baking powder, and cocoa together and then sift into a bowl. Add the sugar, mixing well with a fork. Gradually add oil and water, mixing with a fork or whisk. You should have a thick batter that drips slowly from your fork or whisk.
- Place cupcake cups in a cupcake pan and fill with batter. Each cup should be about ⅔ full. Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F (or 320 F for convection ovens). The cupcakes are done when an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Leave to cool.
- When the cupcakes are cool, put the icing in the icing bag and pipe a ghost onto the cupcakes. Use chocolate chips to make eyes on the ghosts. Refrigerate until serving.
Are you in the mood for something new?
Want vegan dessert recipes that taste good and are simple to make?
Download our NEW ebook:
Favorite Desserts made VEGAN! 100 Sweet Seductive Recipes.
Don’t miss the special release offer!